Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Scarlett O'Hara and friends

When I was thirteen, I had my first and final encounter with the book "Gone with the Wind." I quickly became enthralled by the story and its' heroine Scarlett O'Hara. How I loved that book! How can you beat the drama and the colorful characters that described a doomed lifestyle going down in flames. However, I also remember my sheer disappointment when I reached the end of Margaret Mitchell's story. I distinctly recall the moment. It was a golden fall day. I was lying on my stomach, on top of the four poster bed I had inherited from my grandmother. With tears streaming down my face, I finally reached Rhett Butler's fateful and final declaration. I remember sitting up abruptly and snapping the book closed. I instantly refused to believe that those two dynamic characters couldn't get over their differences and work things out. I remember arguing the point with my sister later that day. All Rhett and Scarlett really needed, I reasoned, was some R&R inorder for them to regain their senses. After all the war had been emotionally draining on everybody! I didn't read the book a second time.

After Rhett and Scarlett, I suffered through the disappointments of Natasha and Prince Andre. Another wonderful book, "War and Peace", although I must confess, I spent most of my time reading about life back in Moscow and skipped over the the battles on the cold Russian steppes. I used to pour over passages describing Natasha's love and longing for Andre, pining away vicariously for her moody, complex prince. I was always a little miffed when Andrè decided to charge off into battle, only to come face to face with a canon ball. Back on the bookshelf went that book.

Things got decidedly better when I discovered Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy, living in Jane Austin's novel "Pride and Prejudice". Now there is a couple you can stand up and cheer. They got it right. Their relationship had it all, humor and longing. I love the moment, when Elizabeth, finally realizing her true feelings for Darcy, runs into him unexpectedly on his estate. What a splendid, thrilling, awkward moment. The attraction between the two is palpable. I can read that passage over and over again. I like these two, because in the end they respected each other and knew how to conduct their relationship with a healthy helping of humor. I read this book about once a year. Way to go Jane!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home