Thursday, June 02, 2005

Campaign for natural beauty

The other day, I was running around doing errands and stopped in at the Postal Annex to send off my passport for renewal. To process a new passport you need to fill out paper work, write a check and supply two new current pictures to the American government. The first couple of things I got done quickly. Taking a passport picture proved to be more of a task. I went to Longs Drug store to have a picture taken, thinking that would be fast and easy. However, I have this weird, quirky thing that happens when someone takes a picture of me using a digital flash camera. My right eye inevitably closes half way, giving me the appearance that I am either drunk, or have just had a stroke. It is quite annoying. On top of that, the picture was all washed out and my hair looked hideous. Not satisfied with the Longs passport picture, I went home and had my son take a whole bunch of pictures of me against a white wall in the brightest natural light that I could find. I had my son take the pictures because I was afraid my husband would tease me relentlessly. Then, from the dozens of pictures that we had taken, I had to start analyzing every aspect of my face, my smile, bone structure, the way my hair looked behind my ears or puffed up at the top. I finally chose one and than began the process of sizing and cropping the photo to meet the specification of having my head measure 1-3/8" from crown to chin. What an ordeal! But, I have to say I was much happier with the picture. My eyes are open, nice smile and my hair definitely looks better.

So, there I was standing in line at the postal annex thinking about how stupid I had been spending such an inordinent amount of time worrying about a crumby passport picture. But there it was, what can I say, female vanity and the desire to look my best for the airport security guards in Rome, at its finest. And then I looked up at the woman behind the counter waiting to help me. I was stunned and couldn't look away. I was staring at an extraordinary woman. I couldn't help but think that I was standing in the presence of a truly beautiful woman...and she had the biggest nose that I have ever seen. She must have been in her late forties, early fifties. Her face was framed by short dark curly ringlets and and she had the brightest ruby red lipstick on her lips. She was wonderful and all I could think of was that I hoped she never would change a thing about her appearance. If she reduced that magnificent nose, her beauty would be diminished. She was perfect, and I wanted to invite her home and learn all about her life adventures.

Have you seen the recent Dove commercials? The new slogan for Dove is "Campaign for Natural Beauty." Well, you have to hand it to Dove for attempting an honest push to recognize ordinary women and their unique faces and bodies. It is kind of refreshing. On the other hand, the Italian newspaper the Repubblica and the rest of the world's media is touting Angelina Jolie as the world's most beautiful woman. Hard to disagree there. But, it is still nice to know that there are beautiful woman all around us and not just in Hollywood or on the runways, and that they can even be found working at the Postal Annex in Fremont wearing ruby red lipstick. So, I decided, that confidence, along with the the ability to accept the things that set us a part from others and to flaunt them, rather than try to change or cancel them, are the things that make a truly beautiful woman. (That and the ability to keep your eyes open and take a decent photo.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home