Thursday, January 27, 2005

Challenges and Possibilities

It amazes me, when I slow down long enough to consider it, how spur-of-the moment decisions can sometimes change the course of your life and invite new people into your world.

Six years ago, I was cruising along, happily raising a family and successfully running a design business, when out of the blue came the niggling thought. "Is this enough?". I pondered on this a bit, and then challenged myself with another question. "If I had the time and knew I couldn't fail at something, what would I do."

Being an Art History major in college, I had spent a fabulous fall semester in Florence, Italy studying frescos by Masaccio and domes built by Brunelleschi. I came away from my study abroad program enamored with Italy, but with only a smattering of the language. When my mom sent me a copy of 'Under the Tuscan Sun' for my birthday several years ago, it reawakened my joy of all things Italian. I reveled in the descriptions of the countryside and people and let the Italian phrases that peppered Mayes' writing, roll around in my head. I savored the sounds, but could only guess at their meaning.

Then, just like that, I knew what it was that I regretted and what I was missing. In that moment was born the decision that would bring change into my life. In that moment, I decided to learn a language. In that moment I picked up the car keys and headed to the local bookstore to buy an Italian grammar book.

My journey to learn the Italian language started out as a singular endeavor. In the beginning it was just me, a book and a tape recorder. Soon however, it became the bridge that allowed me to cross over and touch a much bigger world. As knowledge and confidence increased, I set full sail out onto the internet to find native speakers with whom I could converse. Sitting at my computer in California, I could converse in Italian with Natalie in Lyon, France, Marco in Rome and Elizabeth in Brighton, England. In my very own community I have found Italian neighbors with whom I can speak the language. My world is enriched by my friends, Roberta & Paolo Dalla Ricca, Barbara Ferdico, Aracelli Alvarez, Pia La Rocca and Sabina Bertini. Friends, who I never would have met, had I not challenged myself or set new goals, that introspective day six years ago.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, January 27, 2005, Blogger George Pence said...

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I very much enjoyed viewing your life for even just a moment... sort of like walking down a street and looking over a picket fence at someone's garden.

George Pence
http://notminealone.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home