Saturday, January 29, 2005

Where I get my best ideas

I exercise at the gym five or six times a week. At the end of a hard workout I look forward to time alone in the steam room. I love the solitude and the semi-transparent darkness of the steam room. I love how the hot misty air envelopes and blankets me. I love this alone time because it is one time during my day when I take the time to sit down and do NOTHING for a few minutes. It is impossible to multi-task in the steam room. One can not sit in the steam room and fold laundry, while picking up a trail of toys while toasting six english muffins. During the time I am in the steam room I am not sought out or distracted by cries of "Mom...!" Instead, in the steam room, in the quiet diaphanous darkness, I give myself a time out. I let my mind wander. I give myself permission to think, to plan, to ponder, to organize, to invent and to create. I emerge with a direction. Sometimes it is a simple decision about what I plan to make for dinner that night. Other times I envision clearly the design for a new logo in my head. Out of the fog comes vision. It is in the steam room that I get my best ideas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home