Sunday, July 17, 2005

Bocci anyone?

As you may have guessed from previous posts it is really hot around here. Today at 4 pm the thermometer rose to 110 degrees. Now, the heat doesn't really bother me but what does is a rather disturbing correlation between the heat rising and my internet service pooping out. Every day since last Wednesday, my service has gone out at 11:30 am but comes back on line every evening around 7:30. Argh! My mood swing is mercurial...when the internet is out, I am down in the dumps; when it is back, all is right with the world and can't even recall how annoyed I was just a few hours earlier. Yet, as these outages persist, I have decided to conduct a highly scientific "charting" experiment to see if sun spots, the changing gravitational pull of the earth and/or heat temperatures, are in fact linked and reeking havoc with my internet connection. Come on folks! Let's give a girl a break here. You know it is absolutely essential and vital that I check my e-mail at least twenty times a day and surf the web just as many.

Ahh, well...what to do, what to do, when the internet goes down...that is besides panicking and driving Comcast crazy with five calls a day to their service center to check in with the mother ship. Let's see. I've gone to the mall. I've actually grocery shopped. Oh yes, I even cleaned out the two "catch-all-junk" drawers in the kitchen. I fell asleep, on my bed, over an Italian grammar book while watching an Italian situation comedy show (sorry about that RAI, but sometimes your programming isn't all that captivating!) I have been to the gym a couple of times and even seen the inside of the local library. So, yes it is nice to know that there is life beyond the internet...kind of.

I have to admit though, the most fun I have had in the last five days since the internet has gone down has been at City Beach. My husband and I and a group of friends hightailed it over to this local hang out spot last night, where we ended up staking a claim on one of the bocci ball courts where we proceeded to play a "friendly" men-against-the-women tournament for about five hours. I am not going to point any fingers...but some of us may be just a teeny bit competitive. And despite the fact, that I quite possibly, may have been playing under the influence of a Cosmo or two (and also maybeeee some red wine), I have to admit that I am a pretty darn good bocci ball player. Soon I too, will be carrying a little ruler around with me like the gentlemen in Italy do to measure the distance of the balls. Bocci is my new calling in life..as my youngest would say...it's heck-a-fun. So, if you are looking for me when the heat rises and the internet goes down, you will probably now find me on some Bocci ball court perfecting my toss. Bocci anyone?

4 Comments:

At Monday, July 18, 2005, Blogger Francesco said...

No thanks :D
How can you watch the RAI programming?! It's nearly just trash! I'm not very proud of the Italian way of making tv... there's nothing interesting to me, except (but that's not RAI) the pay-per-view tv :)

Today it's my birthday: 24!!

 
At Monday, July 18, 2005, Blogger Melissa Muldoon said...

You have to understand that RAI International is all that I can get here. I probably would watch Gilligan's Island or the Dukes of Hazzare on RAI if it were dubbed in Italian. I'm not too picky, because I love hearing the language and working on idioms etc. And all those soup operas in Italiano are simply so melodramatic that it is positively hilarious!!!!!!!! On a more high brow note we do also get Porta a Porta. But, Italian programs do seem to be never ending.... : )

Come on Francesco! Bocci is fun! Especially if you are with a big group of people and there is wine involved!!!!

 
At Monday, July 18, 2005, Blogger Francesco said...

But... we do have Dukes of Hazzard and many other foreign programs dubbed in Italian...! RAI international is slightly different from the 'normal' RAI1, RAI2 and RAI3 we reiceve in Italy. For instance, one of my favourite programs (transmitted only via rai2) is Friends :) (I'd rather say... 'was' Friends, given that I saw the very last episode about two weeks ago).

Yes I know, Bocci (that in Italian is 'Bocce', pronounced in the same way as it's written) is fun, but usually seen as the only sport practiced by old men and old women, when they get some rest from their bingo :-PPP

 
At Monday, July 18, 2005, Blogger Melissa Muldoon said...

Oh, great! The Dukes of Hazzard is dubbed in Italian...as if the United States's reputation in Europe wasn't tarnished enough! And, yes, I am aware that Bocce (with an i! Scusate) is really played by a much older generation...much like shuffle board is played here by la gente di un grand età!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home