Monday, July 18, 2005

Of mice and.....

I am matching my wits against a sneeky little mouse that loves the big juicy nectarines that I have accidently left out on the counter at night. To add insult to injury, I am also under seige by an army of the teeniest, tiniest ants. The heat has brought them out of the ground and into the kitchen where they are also running rampant all over the counters. Once upon a time, the area in which I live was once filled with fields of apricot, cherry and olive trees. Our actual neighborhood was built over the site of the old Weibel Vineyard. It really is a shame that fields of fruit trees and vineyards have to be mowed down to give way to "progress" and the construction of houses. They say that less than twenty years ago, this entire area was open and wild and people used to ride horses where there are now expressways. So, in some ways I guess the "visitors" are less the intruders than me. But, none the less, I am not too keen on sharing my nectarines with a mouse. Finding little teeth marks in my fruit in the morning is not the greatest of ways to start the day! So, the hunt is on. But, I am finding that this is a sneeky little thing and it seems to be dancing around and avoiding the sticky traps that I leave out at night. The story continues...hmmmm....who will out smart whom?

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 19, 2005, Blogger Francesco said...

Last year I found a mouse in my house in northern Italy, where we usually go just during september and december. It actually was living in the seat cushion of one of the sofas and, even if I can't say I like having such animals in my living room (neither my parents do), I didn't easily put that mouse (and its cushion) outside, as it was snowing hard... Perhaps you could ask help to Shrek2's Cat with boots!!

 
At Tuesday, July 19, 2005, Blogger Melissa Muldoon said...

All I can say is uuuuh! I think the alternative to what I found this yesterday, that is, little teeth marks in the nectarines left on the counter, my be a whole lot more pleasant than what I found in the sticky trap this morning. I woke up around 4 am to hear some thrashing around in the kitchen...of course I pulled the covers over my head and hid! My husband is out of town so, eventually I managed to crawl out from under my cocoon to go "deal" with the mouse situation. It is funny that it is such a queesy experience when the mouse is in my house. Once a friend of mine called me to "deal" with a mouse she had caught, and that her husband refused to dispose of. I calmly said I would take care of the matter and took care of said mouse. But, here in my domain, it is a different story, I am still shaking from the whole ordeal. I am now afraid I will be haunted by the mouse and stalked by its little (in reality not really so little, and probably not even a mouse!) friends. Big YUCK!

 
At Wednesday, July 20, 2005, Blogger compassioNAT said...

I hate to say this, but if there's one thing to learn about the mouse, is that you'll never get rid of them entirely. Once you have a mice problem and you get rid of them, they somehow always manage to pop up again. that what they're- persistent pests!

I hate these creatures! They belong in the same league as cockroaches. Melissa, how about keeping a Tom Cat?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home