Sunday, December 04, 2005

Housecleaning

I spent the majority of my Saturday evening doing a little housecleaning. It wasn't the typical housecleaning that you would imagine. It was a housecleaning of my website. Here I am a web designer and yet I have been a little remiss in maintaining my own site. So, last night, instead of relaxing and doing something not computer related, I sat up until 3am upgrading my own web content and paying attention, finally, to my own business!

It was rather a cathartic experience, I might add. I have been a little bogged down with lots of new work assignments and feeling the stress and not so much the joy of being a web designer. But, the experience of sitting down and reviewing my work and sorting through the many, many projects I have worked on over the years made me feel...well proud, and brought back my enthusiasm for what I do.

Sorting through my list of clients, was like cleaning out my closet. I suddenly remembered past projects, long since finalized, that I had done for a consulting firm when I lived in Kansas City, or a design job that a helped out with for this or that advertising company in Chicago or Boston. It was like finding old clothes in your closet...sometimes just seeing an old favorite dress you used to wear brings back a flood of memories that you forget until you are actually standing there holding the garment in your hands. The fabric reminds you of another place & what you used to be like when you wore it. That is why it is often hard for me to throw things away...if I don't have the physical reminder, like a garment, I am afraid the memory will be obliterated as well, because I won't have a reason to remember it.

Well, going through my website last night was a lot like cleaning out my closet. There are lots of past projects to think about that I had almost forgotten, as well as a whole host of new clients that keep me busy currently. It was inspiring to see the cumulation of projects that have carried me to this moment. It really brought things into focus and helped me feel really good about myself.

Who said a little feng shui wasn't a good thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home