Friday, February 18, 2005

How many ways can you say tired?

I was thinking about that this morning driving my son to school. I realized that I was feeling kind of tired. But, the kind of tired I was feeling this morning, with an ache in my shoulders and scratchy dry eyes, was different from the kind of bone crushing, disorienting tired I felt last night after I had spent two hours making revisions to a web site. The kind of tired where you can't think straight and when you run into a html programming glitch trying to upload files, your brain just kind of freezes and you blank out as you struggle to remember how you resolved the problem the last time it occurred. Now this is all together a different kind of tired from the tired you feel when you are just bored. I have a theory that, many times when asked how they are feeling, people just say that they are tired because they are completely and utterly bored and just don't have the creativity to come up with a different adjective. Then there is the tired you feel after the physical exhaustion of stepping up and down on a riser for an hour or the tired you feel when you try to run on a tread mill for 35 minutes and have trouble picking up those heavy feet. Or there is the impatient tired you feel when you can't find the "off" switch on your six-year old and the questions just seem to keep bubbling out of his mouth. You struggle to clear your head and concentrate and form a coherent response as to why the air gets colder as you go up into space instead of hotter since you are getting closer to the sun.

I think that I need to create a new language for tired. The eskimos have something like fifty different words for "snow". I think I need to create fifty new words to describe tired.

5 Comments:

At Friday, February 18, 2005, Blogger Eric Carlson said...

Well you pretty much only have one word for tired here "tired" maybe number two can be sleepy. Good luck on the other 48.

 
At Friday, February 18, 2005, Blogger compassioNAT said...

how about 'exhausted', 'lethargic', 'beat', 'under the weather'...6 down, 44 more to go.

whatever, it is, i hope you feel better! being such a hands-on mum mustnt have been easy. i admire that tremendously.


*can i get permission to add your link on my blog? thanks!

have a great day,

natalie

 
At Friday, February 18, 2005, Blogger Melissa Muldoon said...

okay, folks I am now officially battered, broken down, crumbling, decaying, decrepit, in ruins, deteriorated, dilapidated, falling apart, falling down, in disrepair, ramshackle, run-down, and the worse for wear, exhausted, beat...shall I go on?

Can you believe it is 5:12 in the afternoon and I am still in my pajamas? I ran the car pool this morning at 7 am and also the afternoon shift at 3 pm and never bothered to get dressed. I have been working at my desk all day. One of the perks I guess of working from home....in other good news I am all ready for bed! Whew what a day!

 
At Friday, February 18, 2005, Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hi Melissa! First, thank you for your personal email. i've added your link onto my blog! Now, you're just a click away.

I wanted your blog visitors to read this comments so i decided to reply here:

out of curiousity, i visited your company website and saw your family portraits. I love it..the pictures portray an enviable, wholesome family unit. as i read on your blog, i realised you have a hill (mission peak!!) at your backyard- as if you needed anything more to complete the perfect picture. btw, i love the fact that you link everything 'right and left' cos i'm happily clicking away left and right...if your life is a puzzle, you've fitted the pieces perfectly.i'm profoundly amazed by your spiritual perspectives and how you seem to have brought together your interests (cooking,painting and writing) into your life, spicing up your daily living! Good job living!

 
At Saturday, February 19, 2005, Blogger Janet said...

Driving in to work this morning I realized that even the bags under my eyes felt tired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home