Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Trip planning and fun with Google Earth

I have started to plan our September trip to Italy. I always find the initial stages of trip planning to be a little daunting and over- whelming. How can one possibly begin to narrow down which cities to visit, let alone figure out which hotels will be the most accomodating and perfect? I am also always on the lookout for remote places and unique opportunties that most tourists don't partake of, so that I can practice my Italian. For our 2006 trip we have decided to visit the Amalfi coast. Okay, not so remote and not so deserted; we fully expect to bump into lots of straggling tourists despite our intention of traveling in late September. We have never been south of Rome and have always wanted to visit Napoli, Sorrento, Pompei and Positano. So, Almafi Coast, it is this time!

Now, inorder to put together a workable itinerary, and figure out how to go about this trip, I have spent the last two days combing the internet researching places to stay and making inquieries of hotel owners and of seasoned travellers who have left their comments on various trip advisory sites. My ideas are rapidly coming together and I have decided to forgo a stay in Napoli and move directly to Praiano where I think we will set up camp for the entire week after training it down from Rome. From Praiano we can easily make day trips to Pompei, Capri and Positano. Well, at least as of today this is my plan. I may read something later on on the web or hear something from a friend that might get me exited about another town...but, this is the fun of trip planning. At the beginning there are so many possibities before us. Perhaps this time, instead of renting a car, we will rent scooters to more easily reach local destinations and hot spots. Perhaps we will dance at the night club in Praiano situated in a big cave just above the sea, where the big dance floor is covered with plates of glass and the underlying sea is seen along with the stalagmites that are illuminated with iridescent reflections. How fun would that be!

I am intrigued by all the beautiful photos I am finding on the web of my ultimate destination. But, this time round, I have added a new tool to help make the trip seem more real and really come alive. My brother called the other day to tell me about the new Google Earth now available for the Mac. I have been using it to zoom in on Italy and visit Praiano, Pompei, Napoli and the entire Amalfi coast to fully envision where we are going to be in the fall. I love this program! It simulates topography and cities so well that you feel as if you were literally hovering above the place you have just googled. Simply amazing. I wish I could telaport myself as easily to these destinations as I can sitting here at my keyboard.

Now I am starting to feel the excitement coursing through my veins and I just can't wait to hop a plane and be there! I am definitely past the first indecisive phase of trip planning and moving full steam into phase II...booking hotels and making plane reservations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home