Monday, February 21, 2005

Napoleon Dynamite

We watched Napoleon Dynamite last night, or as I affectionately refer to the movie, "Napoleon Blownapart". I said that the other day and my son rolled on the floor laughing. Nice to know you can still tickle the funny bone of your oldest son! It is a quirky, little film and not without merit. My son has been after us to watch it all together as he has seen it more than a couple of times. He knows the movie so well infact that he can recite whole lines of dialogue from the movie, aided somewhat by internet downloads and a cult following at school. Last week he was home sick with the flu. After two days of rest and recooperation, and with little else to do, he took to standing at the top of the stairs and reciting random lines from the movie over the balcony to me (me, who was sitting at my computer in my office at the bottom of the stairs) thus making any attempts that I was making at writing messages to my Italian forum La Bacheca nearly impossible. Not finding it quite as amusing as he apparently did, I urged him, to go back to studing his spanish conjugations, promising that we would rent the movie and watch it over the weekend. We did, and we enjoyed it for its bizzare whimsy.

Speaking of all things quirky and whimsical, I can't help but also mention a new friend...CompassionNat. I am continually surprised by the internet! By now you'd think I'd be over that. But, I'm not. It surprises me every day with the wealth of information that you can find on the Net and by the people that you encounter. Here I am sitting in California and yet I am able to meet people in Asia, Alaska, Washington DC and England, that I otherwise would never encounter. This little box in front of me is transporting me all over the globe and introducing me to fascinating people. Take for instance CompassionNat, who wrote a very lovely note to me the other day and I want to thank her very much for taking the time to do so. She fell into my blog and I visited hers and now I am enjoying getting to know her better. She wrote a blog called the Beautiful Blog which I found particularly neat. "The beauty of a blog...lies in history. A history you can re-live. Archives, they call it. you can archive back to a moment, an event, a picture, a thought, an opinion, a comment, a phase...and remember for that moment, that feeling you felt." That is a beautiful blog! Thanks Nat you are really special.

6 Comments:

At Monday, February 21, 2005, Blogger compassioNAT said...

Wow..i got special mention! how cool is that? *drumroll please* ;)

Thanks for your email! So i made your day? the feeling is mutual. You won't believe me, but now, i keep re-reading my own comments to analyse what was it i wrote that so made you smile..haha.
everything i wrote there was heartfelt ..seriously, its great how i can relate to your spiritual perspectives. there's something very transparent, honest and down-to-earth about your entries..i love that.

 
At Monday, February 21, 2005, Blogger Sadie said...

what do you get if you throw a grenade into a french kitchen?

Linoleum blownapart!!!

 
At Monday, February 21, 2005, Blogger beth hintze said...

It's so funny that you've written about Napoleon Dynamite b/c I just saw it this weekend as well! I teach 7-10th graders so, like you, I have been inundated with lines from the movie. I too thought it was a funny/quirky movie, but what amazed me was that my random, something-new-every-two-minutes 8th graders would sit still for it! It had it's moments, but it moves really slow! But I like quirky, so I thought it was cute.

 
At Monday, February 21, 2005, Blogger beth hintze said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Monday, February 21, 2005, Blogger beth hintze said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Monday, February 21, 2005, Blogger beth hintze said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home