Friday, February 11, 2005

Wouldn't it be great to drive a Prius?

I drive a BIG car. I guess it is really more truck than car. It is a Ford Expedition that we purchased six years ago to handle all three kids AND the neighborhood car pool. In addition to the extra passenger space, we needed something gianormous to handle all the extracurricular seasonal gear that we feel obligated to haul around with us. Stuff like, skis, boots, lawn chairs (for soccer), bats, balls, helmets, tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, five suitcases, and last but not least, all the towels, coolers, and swim parkas that we can fit in for those day long swim meets. That's a hefty requirement for any car! At first, I was skeptical about driving such a large vehicle. Then, I got used to it. Piece of cake really, and I kind of like sitting up high above the earth with a bird's eye view of traffic. But lately, I am starting to feel kind of conspicuous and clunky driving around in our great big ol' truck.

Now, I am probably the last person in the world to get all jazzed up about ANY type of car. And unlike my husband, who could tell you the make or model of a car and it's statistics, when he was only six years old, my car owning requirements have always been pretty basic. As long as the car started when you turned the ignition key, had steering capabilities and four good wheels, I was good to go. But, recently this has all changed. I have suffered a major attitude adjustment all because I have seen and experienced a Prius! Last October, while my husband's car was in the shop, the insurance company set us up with a rental car. To our amazement and good fortune, it turned out to be a beautiful brand new Prius. It was an awesome experience driving that car. It was like driving an intelligent computer. Not only was it fun to drive, but I felt good driving it because it makes such great sense for the environment. Someone once told me some outrageous statistic, like, you could drive around the world ten times in a Prius and emit the same pollutants into the air as you would if you were to use one can of hairspray (it went something like that). It just doesn't make sense that we aren't all driving around in hybrid cars. And gas mileage, don't get me started!!!! I want one!

However, by the time our life style is more suited to driving a smaller car, it won't be necessary to cart around so much gear and so many children. I have a hard enough time with time rushing by and the kids growing up so quickly before my eyes as it is. Before you know it I will be driving a Prius, but my husband and I may be the only passengers. I tell myself to be patient and be careful for what I wish for! I'll keep my fingers crossed instead, and hope that maybe they will start making an affordable gianormous Prius in the nearer future!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home