Sunday, April 23, 2006

Spring break 2006...or the Muldoon's do southern California

Home again, after a week traveling around in the car with the kids in southern California. Despite having to leave the dog at home in a kennel (the dog was greatly missed), and being without a computer for nine days (I suffered major internet withdrawal symptoms) or the fact that gas prices were at an all time high (we drove 700 miles in a Ford Expedition - you do the math!) we had a great time!

We spent the first night in San Louis Obispo where we visited & toured the Cal Poly campus. My oldest son is only a sophmore in high school, but we figured this would be a great opportunity for him to see a slice of college life. Boy were we right. My husband and I can't stop congratulating ourselves and patting ourselves on the back about how a great an idea this was! My son, while he IS about the biggest, brightest, & shiniest of all light bulbs in any drawer, tends to be a bit lazy and not seeing the big picture of why it is a good thing to turn in papers, finish assignments and get good grades. This has all changed in one fateful afternoon that will forever be etched on my brain. He finally got IT. He finally realized what FUN living in a dorm room could be. He finally understands that he could have a fantastic life after highschool, which doesn't involve living out of our house and attending the local junior college. My husband and I left the campus five hours later with tears streaming down our faces! I kid you not!

San Louis is right on the ocean and close to Pismo beach where the following day we rented dune buggies (meaning me and my youngest son) and the rest ATVs (i.e., my husband and two older boys) and we played around on the sand dunes of Pismo Beach. They all made fun of me because I was going so slow...but I swear I had that thing floored. Back on the road we headed down to Santa Barbara where we spent Easter weekend. We ate out every night of our trip. It was truly a wonderful thing for me not to have to cook or grocery shop, and by the end of the vacation we had eaten at Italian, Mexican, Cajun & Japanese restaurants...not to mention of course the In-N-Out Burger and Pollo Loco! In Santa Barbara we ate on the pier and watched the sunset, we lounged on the beach, read books and built castles. We even admired the artistic talents of local sand artists who crafted amazing sculptures in the sand near the boardwalk. When even played golf together, to both my husband and my complete amazement, since he is always trying to get me to play and I am always avoiding it like the plague. But, it was fun with the boys, even if we lost almost all our balls and tees, and I pretty much stink at the game.

While in Santa Barbara we visited UCSB and had another college tour. The campus is a joke...how can anyone go to college a foot away from the beach. Dorm rooms have ocean views, for crying out loud! It turns out to be a great school, but class sizes are HUGE! Kind of a turn off for my son. But, I was pleased to find out that they actually have an Italian language major...not that my son cares (yes it is always all about me... I can at least dream and pretend to be a college applicant all over again, ready to major in Italian and travel abroad!)

On we drove to LA, Anaheim and Disneyland. Again, what were we thinking when we decided to arrive in LA at 5pm and rush hour...and me at the wheel none-the-less. Not quite sure how that happened with my husband conveniently enscounced in the passenger seat reading the map while I handled the bumper to bumper traffic. Yikes! But, our day at Disney turned out to be a blast. I was a bit skeptical seeing as that we have been to Disney World a billion times and never to Disneyland...but in the end, Disney is Disney and the two parks are fairly comparable. We took advantage of the Fast Past system and maximized our rides. The best part of the day was walking quickly into Splash Mountain and avoiding the TWO hour wait time in line. Now that WAS a great time...and the ride itself was okay too.

We left LA for Carlsbad (practically in San Diego at that point) where we played another day on the beach and at the pool. We drove home in a day and made it into the driveway just as the "check the engine immediately" sign started flashing ominously. The dog was happy to see us, when we picked him up the next day from "Happiness Country Kennels". No worse for wear and he hadn't forgotten us, as we all feared he might. My computer survived my absence and started right up and there was even the internet waiting for me with over 100 emails to answer.

Vacations are always good. They allow you to step back and clear your head. I always feel that a chapter has ended and a new one is about to begin. Prior to taking a vacation I always think... "how can I possibly go away...how can I leave this or that project, or how can a do without my computer, or how can I possibly leave my established routine for so long. And when I return, I always think..."How could I have survived had I not have gotten away!" Vacations are always a good idea!

...and speaking of other trips in our near future....yes, Amy the trip to Almalfi is still on! Flights have been reserved and the hotel has been booked. Charlene liked the hotel so much when I told her about it, that she booked rooms at the same time that we are there too, so we will have company! Do you want to come too?

7 Comments:

At Sunday, April 23, 2006, Blogger Janet said...

What a super trip! It sounds like you guys had a blast. Enjoyed all the pictures!

 
At Tuesday, April 25, 2006, Blogger Mindy said...

Sounds wonderful! And that's so great that you will be meeting up with Charlene in Amalfi.....quanto mi piacerebbe andarci con voi! :-)

 
At Saturday, November 04, 2006, Blogger acaligurl said...

fun family vaca. pics :) saw your paintings too, very lovely!!

 
At Wednesday, March 19, 2008, Blogger Patricia Gordillo Serrano said...

Stimati Melissa Muldoon:

Vi invito affettuosamente a visitare il mio foglio o pagina in Internet dove troveranno i miei romanza e le mie poesie

Penso che per me possa essere molto importante leggere e lasciare il loro pensiero o interpretazioni sulle stessi poesie.

Volentieri


Patricia Gordillo

Córdoba - Argentina

www.patriciagordillo.com.ar


elsubeybajadelamarea.blogspot.com



Mie poesie all' Italiano

 
At Saturday, April 12, 2008, Blogger jasna said...

Ciao Melissa, sorry but i don't spik your languige... But l like your family Kiss to Italy

 
At Thursday, April 17, 2008, Blogger jasna said...

Ciao Melissa , non sai quanto piacere mi fa... sapere che parli italiano. Così anch'io mi scateno ... a scriverti... nel mio blog ci sono altre due ricette se ti interessa. nei post più vecchi. Ciao e buona notte.

 
At Monday, May 19, 2008, Blogger jasna said...

Ciao Melissa ... ti ho ritrovato... un abbraccio piovoso dall' Italia... Ma non scrivi più nel blog... vedo che è dal 2006 che non aggiorni la pagina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home